Automaticity with sounds is critical for reading fluency and comprehension.
- We don’t focus on the letter sounds in this website, but if starting with teaching the letter sounds, it is best to begin with common letters: f, m, n, r, s, a, t, p, i, b, l and h.
- Be sure to teach qu together as /qu/ (Rather than teaching q alone.)
- Starfall.com can be a good resource for practicing letter sounds.
- Click here for a list of words that can be sounded out and spelled with just the letter cards: l, m, r, t, b, s, a, i.
- Click link for a list of easily confusable voiced/unvoiced letter pairs.
- Click here for a pack of games for the letter sounds.