Irregular Vowel Team Definitions:
– VV stands for Vowel, Vowel, which is the Vowel Team syllable.
– Diphthong: A gliding (or changing) sound formed by two or more letters in a syllable. Can be vowels like oi in boil, or a combination of vowels and consonants like augh in daughter.
– Digraph: One sound made represented with 2 or more letters. Can be a consonant digraph like sh in she. In the case of an Irregular Vowel Team examples are the ui in fruit, and can be a combination of vowels and consonants like the igh in light.
Teaching Videos and Written Stories
PowerPoints and Google Slides
For the formatting of PowerPoints to be correct, click FILE, then DOWNLOAD, and download in Microsoft PowerPoint.
Teach Along the Way with Irregular Vowel Teams
TEACH ALONG THE WAY ●●●
Teach and add the irregular vowel teams (oo, oo, oi, oy, au, augh, aw, ui, ue, ew, ou, ow) from the Big Sounds Pack to daily practice as they are learned.
TIP: Teach and practice each sound group together. For example teach the au, augh and aw together as all ways to spell the /aw/ sound. (The 2 sounds for oo can be taught together.) Teach the sounds in the order we present them in, or teach each sound as it comes up in your students reading. If your student asks about the oo in book, teach and practice the two sounds for oo right then when it is relevant to the student.
Map Sounds to Letters
Map the sounds in the word to the letter(s) representing the sounds, even if it is not a letter combination that has been taught yet. Only an unusual sound/letter combination needs to be remembered “by heart.” Mapping the sounds to the letters is how we remember what words look like. See example below:
Be sure to reinforce what you know and are learning about words, for example:
Schwa Sound: Any vowel might say /ŭ/. Point out that this happens in many common words like: the, of, was, some, from…
Key and Directions for Materials
Bundle: Multiple types of materials (games, activities, stories…) bundled together.
Pack: Multiple pieces of the same type of material, for example a pack of books.
Directions for everything else:
More on the Directions Page
- Highlighting Lists
- Working with Flashcards
- Flashing Words with flashcards
- Games with Picture Cards
- Games with Words/Phrases on Game Board
- Game I Have, Who Has
- Game Bang!
- Game Bingo
- Spelling help found on the Spelling Page in the Teach Along The Way section
- Small Book 8 page Assembly Directions
- Small Book 4 page Folding Directions
- Syllable Sort Directions
Sample Bundle contains samples of the stories, games, lists, flashcards, fluency pyramids, activities, spelling and more you will find in the practice section below.