Automaticity with sounds and chunks is critical for reading fluency and comprehension.
Key and Directions for Materials
Bundle: Additional various activities to practice a specific skill
Pack: Additional multiple versions of a specific activity to practice a specific skill
Directions for everything else:
More on the Directions Page
- Highlighting Lists
- Working with Flashcards
- Flashing Words with flashcards
- Games with Picture Cards
- Games with Words/Phrases on Game Board
- Game I Have, Who Has
- Game Bang!
- Game Bingo
- Spelling help found on the Spelling Page in the Teach Along The Way section
- Small Book Assembly
- Small Book 4 pager Assembly
- Syllable Sort Directions
Teaching Videos and Written Stories
The Big Sounds Pack
*The Big Sounds Pack As you go through the steps, practice known sounds and then add new ones as they are introduced. This sounds pack includes the 26 letters plus 73 more letter combinations that need to be learned like th, ch, igh, aw, and many, many more!
Directions: Practice for just a couple minutes, many times each day. Print sounds back to back so the correct sound along with a target word will be printed on the back. Keep reviewing the sounds already known, and as new ones are introduced add them to the pack! Being automatic with the sounds for 99 letters and letter combinations is crucial for reading. Use the strategy in Learning New Words or Sounds With Flashcards in order to bring the sounds to automaticity.
Word and Phrase Lists
Long Vowel Chunks
*Highlight target chunk and then read word!
igh eigh ang ank old ind ild oll olt ost
- Word List: Long Vowel Chunks vertical
- Word List: Long Vowel Chunks horizontal
- Word List: -igh with Endings (See directions in green box below)
- Word List: eigh says long a
- Word List: Long Vowel Chunks -ank -ang
- Word List: Long Vowel Find the Colt ind, old, ost, ild, olt, igh, oll, eigh
- Word and Phrase List igh: Who Likes the Night? igh
Morphology – building words with meaningful chunks. While learners start to become more comfortable with longer words and word parts, it is a good time to practice noticing that words are be built by adding prefixes and suffixes to a base word. This is the beginning of the study of morphology. Morphemes are the smallest units that have meaning (ie. incoming has 3 morphemes: in, come, ing).
Finding Morphemes and Making Words With Long Vowel Cheater Chunk -igh:
Click here for the -igh says the long /i/ sound worksheet.
Directions: Highlight the -igh chunk in each title word. For the words below the title word, underline the title word and highlight the additional morphemes. (The title words on this page are each a single morpheme.) See Picture.
- Flashcards: Long Vowel Chunks and Words
- Flashcards: -ank words
- Flashcards: -ang words
- Game: -igh words All Right Let’s Play
- Game: Long Vowel Chunks Wind the Old Clock ind, old, ost, ild, olt int
Small Book assembly directions, 4 Pager folding directions, OR use horizontal format for reading on screen in distance learning.
- -igh small book: Mighty Girl
- -igh small book: Not a Knight’s Delight
- -ost, -old, -olt, -ind, -ild small book: The Ghost
- -ost, -old, -olt, -ind, -ild small book: The Ghost horizontal format
- -ind -old -ild -ost 4 page book: Lost Hand horizontal format
- -ind -old -ild -ost 4 page book: Lost Phone horizontal format
- -igh 4 page book: No Light Tonight
- -igh 4 page book: No Light Tonight horizontal format
Full Page Stories with Lists
See Highlighting Word Lists
- A Knight in the Night -igh
- The Ninja -ild, -old, -ind, -ost
- The Fright Delight -igh -olt -ind
- Story & Phrases ind, olt, ild, old, ost: My Colt Named Lightening Bolt
- Full Page Story (no list): igh, eigh Jack with definition of neigh