Automaticity with sounds and chunks is critical for reading fluency and comprehension.
The Big Sounds Pack
*The Big Sounds Pack As you go through the steps, practice known sounds and then add new ones as they are introduced. This sounds pack includes the 26 letters plus 73 more letter combinations that need to be learned like th, ch, igh, aw, and many, many more!
Directions: Practice for just a couple minutes, many times each day. Print sounds back to back so the correct sound along with a target word will be printed on the back. Keep reviewing the sounds already known, and as new ones are introduced add them to the pack! Being automatic with the sounds for 99 letters and letter combinations is crucial for reading. Use the strategy in Learning New Words or Sounds With Flashcards in order to bring the sounds to automaticity.
Long Vowel Cheater Chunks
Long Vowel Chunks
*Highlight target chunk and then read word!
igh eigh ang ank old ind ild oll olt ost
Word and Phrase Lists
- Word List: Long Vowel Chunks vertical
- Word List: Long Vowel Chunks horizontal
- Word List: -igh with Endings (See directions below)
- Word List: eigh says long a
- Word List: Long Vowel Chunks -ank -ang
- Word List: Long Vowel Find the Colt ind, old, ost, ild, olt, igh, oll, eigh
- Word and Phrase List igh: Who Likes the Night? igh
- Game: -igh words All Right Let’s Play
- Game: Long Vowel Chunks Wind the Old Clock ind, old, ost, ild, olt int
Small Book assembly directions, 4 Pager folding directions, OR use horizontal format for reading on screen in distance learning.
- -igh small book: Mighty Girl
- -igh small book: Not a Knight’s Delight
- -ost, -old, -olt, -ind, -ild small book: The Ghost
- -ost, -old, -olt, -ind, -ild small book: The Ghost horizontal format
- -ind -old -ild -ost 4 page book: Lost Hand horizontal format
- -ind -old -ild -ost 4 page book: Lost Phone horizontal format
- -igh 4 page book: No Light Tonight
- -igh 4 page book: No Light Tonight horizontal format
Full Page Stories with Lists
Full Page Stories with Lists
Highlighting Word Lists directions
- A Knight in the Night -igh
- The Ninja -ild, -old, -ind, -ost
- The Fright Delight -igh -olt -ind
- Story & Phrases ind, olt, ild, old, ost: My Colt Named Lightening Bolt
- Full Page Story (no list): igh, eigh Jack with definition of neigh
More on the Directions Page
- Highlighting Lists
- Working with Flashcards
- Flashing Words with flashcards
- Games with Picture Cards
- Games with Words/Phrases on Game Board
- Game I Have, Who Has
- Game Bang!
- Game Bingo
- Spelling help found on the Spelling Page in the Teach Along The Way section
- Small Book Assembly
- Small Book 4 pager Assembly
- Syllable Sort Directions
Building words by adding endings to base words with the Long Vowel Cheater Chunk -igh:
Highlight the -igh chunk in each title word. For the words below the title word, underline the title word and highlight the additional endings. If there is more than one ending, use a different color for each. See Picture.